Edward Stott, ARA (British, 1859 - 1918)
The white horse
Pastel on paper
Signed with initials (lower right)
11.1/4 x 8.7/8 in. (28.6 x 22.5 cm.)
Provenance: Neil Campbell Wilson
A few years after its foundation in 1886, a critic referred to the New English Art Club as that Steery, Starry, Stotty. Stotty referred to William Stott of Oldham and Edward William Stott. The four men had in common the love French plein air painting, in particular the works of Jules Bastion Lepage. From Lancashire originally he travelled to Paris to enrol in the studio of Carolus-Duran. Like George Clauson he was a fan of painting kitchen gardens and returning to England Stott sort similar rural sites. Stott alighted in 1885 upon Amberley in West Sussex which would provide him with the settings and themes for his paintings for the rest of his life. Over the next three decades he was intent on preserving the village as the pastoral idyll that it remains today.
His later works were clad in luminescent colour and he is truly one of the most important artists associated with the South Downs, West Sussex. The town and art gallery of Eastbourne recently had a retrospective show of his works. This delightful study of a horse is still a very familiar image in West Sussex today.